Know your rights.
Ask for training.
Young persons are less likely to recognise the risk
of accidents or ill-health,
than older persons for a number of reasons.
The young person factor . . .
• Lack of awareness of occupational health and safety
hazards and risks
• Inexperience and unfamiliarity with the job they are doing, and their
• Lack of skill and/or training in the job they are doing
• Physical and/or social immaturity
• Being given jobs that are beyond their capabilities
• Lack of occupational health and safety information and/or training
• Lack of awareness of employers duties and their own rights and
• Not paying enough attention to their own health and safety
• Lack of confidence to raise occupational health and safety issues
Source: European Agency for
Health and Safety at Work - ‘Why young people’ guide.